From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 10:21:04 +0100

It is very kind of Jim and Gary to point to this very useful source of authoritative stats. I have a question for this list. When I was a publisher the general belief among UK based publishers (and researchers) was that US researchers were always likely to cite publications by US based researcher rather than “foreign” ones and this extended to “foreign” publications as well as publications by “foreigners”. It was also believed by our editorial boards. Does anyone on this list know of any evidence for or against? I am also particularly interested now in prejudice against Chinese researchers which I notice from posts by some well-known commentators seems to be to be evident (still).

Anthony

Anthony Watkinson

Principal Consultant CIBER Research

Honorary Lecturer University College London

Director Charleston Library Conference

From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 18:03:37 -0700

https://www.infodocket.com/2019/05/30/new-data-science-and-engineering-publication-output-trends-2017-shows-u-s-output-level-slightly-below-that-of-china-but-the-united-states-maintains-lead-with-highly-cited-publications/

The headline summary:

Publication output in peer-reviewed science and engineering (S&E)
journals, books, and conference proceedings serves as an indicator of
scientific research activity. New data show that worldwide S&E
publication output continues to grow, reaching 2.4 million in 2017,
with the United States and China being the two largest producers in
2017 (17% and 19% of the world total). When counted together, the
European Union (EU) countries (at 26%) produced more S&E publication
output than the United States or China. Globally, S&E publication
output grew at an average annual rate of 4% between 2007 and 2017 .
Over the same time period, the share of internationally coauthored S&E
publication output also increased from 17% to 22%.

This comes, as much else that is good from the invaluable Infodocket
service provided by Gary Price under Library Journal auspices.  Gary
Price ([log in to unmask]) is a librarian, writer, consultant,
and frequent conference speaker based in the Washington D.C. metro
area. Before launching INFOdocket, Price and Shirl Kennedy were the
founders and senior editors at ResourceShelf and DocuTicker for 10
years. From 2006-2009 he was Director of Online Information Services
at Ask.com, and is currently a contributing editor at Search Engine
Land.

Jim O'Donnell
ASU