From: Dmitri Zaitsev <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 09:46:55 +0700

Hi Leo,

I've thought this might be of help, after Peter Suber's helpful comments, I have settled on the term "no-fee OA" here:  https://gitlab.com/publishing-reform/discussion/issues/96

In that sense, a subscription journal not charging author is still no-fee.  So no-fee is only about fee to author, separately from OA, which is only about access, while the above post only discusses "no-fee OA", which is the combination of two.

Using stones (Diamond or Platinum) is common but can also confuse people, especially "Gold OA" is extremely confusing as being used in different meanings by different people.  In that vein, terms like "no-fee" feel more explicit and robust against being coerced into different meaning.

--
Dmitri Zaitsev
School of Mathematics