From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 02:41:52 +0000

For what it’s worth, my library is about to embark on a major journal cancellation process. It will require us to make very difficult decisions about which journals to retain and which ones to let go, and both the amounts of money involved (even for individual journals) and the anticipated impact on our university’s faculty and students mean that we have a strong incentive to make these decisions very carefully. The process will inevitably involve title-by-title choices, as well decisions at the package level.

One of the tools I anticipate we’ll use in making these decisions is UnPaywall, which makes it quick and easy to see what percentage of a journal’s content is freely available online. There will be circumstances in which we’re forced to decide between two equally-desirable journals. Where that’s the case, if the content of one of those journals is more substantially available online than that of the other, it will definitely have an impact on our decision. If it didn’t, we’d be derelict in our duty to use university resources responsibly and to provide the best possible access for our community.

---

Rick Anderson

Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication

Marriott Library, University of Utah

Desk: (801) 587-9989

Cell: (801) 721-1687