From: T Scott Plutchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 19:05:17 -0500

Since Anthony has never suggested that “libraries actively use Sci-Hub as a
means to support journal cancellations” it seems misplaced, to say the
least, that you demand he provide evidence in support of that belief.

What he was responding to was your unwarranted vilification of, apparently,
everybody who works in publishing.  Since this runs contrary to the
experience of most people who’ve worked with libraries and publishers, he
was right to call you on it.  I’ve been a librarian for 36 years and was a
library director for 24 of them, so I’ve been through plenty of budget
crises and journal cancellations and disputes with publishers.  It’s
possible I’ve raised my voice once or twice.  But I would never accuse
everyone who works in publishing of reckless disregard of ethics and the
law in pursuit of profit, as you did.

My experience  has been the same as that which Alex Holzman described in
his welcome contribution to this thread — "the people on both sides of this
issue, whatever their disagreements, are overwhelmingly good and decent
people working to disseminate learning as broadly as they can.”

Certainly there are some people in publishing that I distrust and would
avoid working with if at all possible.  That’s true of some librarians as
well.

Scott

T Scott Plutchak
Librarian