From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 13:28:50 +0000

I am sure that many will have seen that Elsevier is publishing articles
that, via their references, link through to Sci-Hub:

https://eve.gd/2019/08/03/elsevier-threatens-others-for-linking-to-sci-hub-but-does-it-itself/

There are many interesting aspects to this (Does engaging in a practice
that you claim is illegal in others undermine your case?  Is the ‘we’re so
big and these things happen’ excuse a legitimate one?), but one in
particular interests me.  A very long time ago, my first proper job was a
production assistant for Elsevier.  We used to copy-edit and proof-read
articles, including the references. This would have been caught.  What can
we assume from this of Elsevier’s current level of proofreading of articles?

David