From: Phill Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 10:29:07 +0100

Hi Brian,

Those are all good questions.

A few years ago I remember asking that very question and being surprised by
how complicated the answers I got were. There has always been a bit of
complexity and arguably obfuscation around what publishers charge authors.
A few years back, I once asked a publisher how much they charge authors to
publish with them in subscription journals and was told that there were no
publication charges. I knew that wasn't strictly true because I'd published
in one of their journals so I pressed them with specific terms and found
out that they did, in fact charge 'colour plate fees' although they were
adamant that they'd never charge page fees because they viewed that as
wrong.

So yes, there are sometimes submission fees, page charges, and colour plate
fees (although the latter may be rarer these days). Subscription journals
don't charge APCs though, as you noted, that's the term used in author-pays
OA models.

The best thing to search for in the literature is 'total cost of
publishing' Here's one such article
https://doi.org/10.3390/publications3040248  I confess that I can't give
you a primer on the state of the art, as I haven't been following that
particular debate that closely lately.

Here's also a good blog post with some links you might find helpful
https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2019/06/04/the-gold-rush-why-open-access-will-boost-publisher-profits/
Take
a look at the JISC report that's linked out from there.

Phill Jones, PhD
Double L Digital

p +44 131 6675707
c +44 7462 942232