From: "Mackinder, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 12:37:48 +0000

This particular resource is an outlier.  The publisher does not own
copyright for the content – users contribute content and the whole thing is
then licensed to professionals and academic customers.  It’s essentially a
repository where the user who uploads the content has to click through an
agreement that asserts they have the legal right to contribute that
content, but the language of that agreement is very flimsy and would not
aid in our protection IMO.  The content itself is creative in nature, which
is why I’m so concerned about the possibility of third-party CR/IP right
infringement claims.

I’m sensing some consensus among those who’ve responded that the idea of
the liability cap isn’t ideal.  I’m planning to push back hard on it.
Thanks so much for those who’ve replied and please continue to do so if you
have any ideas that would help.  Crowd-sourcing strategy is a great thing!

Lisa

Lisa Mackinder | Head of Acquisitions and Collections Services

Alden Library | Ohio University

[image: ohioColorLogo_3_2]

From: Iris Brest <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 00:07:49 +0000

Of course the Licensor has copyright permissions, to the best of its
belief.  But one can be mistaken.  It is very common to try to limit
liability.  The question I wonder about is the terms of the insurance
carried by the parties.

From: "Levenson, Patricia" <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 13:39:15 +0000

It is the publisher’s responsibility to clear copyright BEFORE they
publish/use a third party’s work. There is no way I would be comfortable
with indemnification in this situation and would walk away from the
resource.

This begs many questions: Why is the publisher doing this? Do they not have
the legal and/or financial resources to ensure copyright compliance? If
they don’t have copyright to these works what rights do they have? How can
they legally publish this information if not? Is it a legit publisher?
Since it’s a moderately priced resource (as stated) it appears (to me) the
publisher is making a half-baked effort to publish while passing on any
copyright risk to its subscribers.

Unless I’m misunderstanding the original question…

Patricia (Patti) Levenson

Administrative Coordinator

Co-Chair, Professional Women’s Committee

E: [log in to unmask]

O: 508-856-2205

The Lamar Soutter Library

55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester MA 01655-0002

From: "Mackinder, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 13:32:03 +0000

Licensor is willing to indemnify us as Licensee against third-party claims
of copyright/IP infringement, but the indemnification is subject to a
liability cap of aggregate amounts paid in the 12 mo prior to the event in
the claim.

It’s a moderately priced resource, but the copyright of the content could
be and often is owned by third parties.

Any thoughts on having liability limited with a cap from the licensee
perspective?

Thanks,