From:  John Lenahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Tue, 15 Oct 2019 14:35:06 -0500

It’s great to see the question of DRM-free access to ebooks raised
here.  At JSTOR, all of our ebooks are available exclusively in an
unlimited, DRM-free access model that matches the user experience of
our journal program, with unlimited simultaneous use, PDF chapter
downloads, and no need to log in or use special software.  We’ve
partnered with 250+ scholarly publishers, including top university
presses like Princeton, Yale, and California, to make their ebooks
available in this model. Our program now includes more than 80,000
titles, including 5,800 Open Access titles that are freely available
to anyone in the world.

We’ve learned that ease of use is critical to driving usage and
impact.  In addition to removing DRM restrictions, we also integrated
ebooks with journals to make it easy for users to cross-search and
discover relevant content across different formats.  We’ve seen
remarkably high usage for ebooks on our platform—in fact, on average,
ebook chapters are used 88% as much as journal articles on JSTOR.

I’d be glad to answer any questions about our ebook program and what
we’ve learned from the usage.

John Lenahan
Associate Vice President, Journals and Books