From: Diane French <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 08:41:51 +0000

*Understanding Copyrigh*
*t **Wednesday 20 November, Online *
  6 places remaining
Online, (CET 3.30pm-5.00pm, EST 9.30am-11.00am, GMT 2.30pm-4.00pm)
*To book and for further information visit*:
*https://www.alpsp.org/Training/Understanding-Copyright-Online-2019/63151
<https://www.alpsp.org/Training/Understanding-Copyright-Online-2019/63151>*
This online course, tutored by *Pippa Smart*
<https://www.alpsp.org/Training/Understanding-Copyright-Online-2019/63151> a
highly experienced international trainer, provides an essential
introduction to copyright law and how it is used in practice for anyone
involved with international digital and in print copyright
issues. Delegates will gain an understanding of the legal publishing
landscape, and be able to make sense of their own organization’s contracts
and licences.

*Programme:*

   - What exactly is copyright: who owns it and who can enforce it?Moral
   rights: what they are and how they affect publishers
   - International copyright framework: how it all fits
   - Managing permissions: what to ask and what to record
   - When you don’t need permission: ‘Fair dealing’ and ‘Fair use’
   provisions
   - Making permissions easier: blanket licences, bilateral agreements and
   outsourcing
   - Introduction to Creative Commons and other online licences.

*Format:*

   - Pre-course reading/exercises
   - Comprehensive delegate pack
   - One and a half hour interactive online workshop
   - Post course exercises marked by our tutor
   - 48 hour email follow up with the tutor
   - Certificate on completion of all elements.

*What will you learn? *Understand the principles of copyright and how it
works in an international digital and print environment; ensure that the
moral rights of creators are upheld; understand permission systems and best
use of Reproduction Rights Organizations (RROs) and outsourcing; understand
the basics of online licensing in an open access or subscription-based
environment.

*Delegate comments:*
“Thanks for running a great training course on Copyright. I wasn’t
expecting it to be so interesting! It was really fascinating and I enjoyed
it." previous attendee
"Course tutors extremely knowledgeable and approachable. I’ve left the
course feeling well informed and confident.” Laura Longworth, *Channel View
Publications*

*Who should attend (Level 1): *
  People starting out in a rights or licensing role or with one to two
years’ publishing experience in editorial and production functions in large
and small organizations.

*To book and for further information visit*:
*https://www.alpsp.org/Training/Understanding-Copyright-Online-2019/63151*
<https://www.alpsp.org/Training/Understanding-Copyright-Online-2019/63151>

*Other ALPSP Events you may be interested in...*

*Commissioning Content: Working effectively with authors and editors, *2
October, London, Training (
*https://www.alpsp.org/Training/Commissioning-Content-Working-effectively-with-authors-and-editors/62343*
<https://www.alpsp.org/Training/Commissioning-Content-Working-effectively-with-authors-and-editors/62343>)

*Online Journal Discovery and Delivery: Working with libraries and industry
intermediaries to maximise readership, *8 October, London, Training (
*https://www.alpsp.org/Training/Online-Journal-Discovery-and-Delivery/62344*
<https://www.alpsp.org/Training/Online-Journal-Discovery-and-Delivery/62344>)

*The Rise of the RFP: How to embrace and get the most out of your RFP
processes*, 31 October, London, Training (
*https://www.alpsp.org/Seminars/The-Rise-of-the-RFP/66222*
<https://www.alpsp.org/Seminars/The-Rise-of-the-RFP/66222>)
*An Introduction to Agile Project Management for Publishing, *13 November,
London, Training (
*https://www.alpsp.org/Training/An-Introduction-to-Agile-Project-Management-for-Publishing/62342*
<https://www.alpsp.org/Training/An-Introduction-to-Agile-Project-Management-for-Publishing/62342>)

*ALPSP UKSG Joint Event: Shifting power centres in scholarly
communications: Implications and future roles for libraries and publishers,*
 13 November, London, Seminar
*https://www.alpsp.org/Training/An-Introduction-to-Agile-Project-Management-for-Publishing/62342*
<https://www.alpsp.org/Training/An-Introduction-to-Agile-Project-Management-for-Publishing/62342>
*ALPSP Networking: Transformative Agreements, *19 November, Oxford,
*https://www.alpsp.org/Seminars/ALPSP-Networking-Transformative-Agreements/69100*
<https://www.alpsp.org/Seminars/ALPSP-Networking-Transformative-Agreements/69100>
*I Never Metadata I Didn’t Like*, 27 November, Seminar, (
*https://www.alpsp.org/Seminars/I-Never-Metadata-I-Didnt-Like/66221*
<https://www.alpsp.org/Seminars/I-Never-Metadata-I-Didnt-Like/66221>)
*In-house training*
ALPSP members: if you are unable to attend an open training course then we
can bring the course to you as in-house training. Contact Amanda Whiting by
email [log in to unmask] or telephone +44 (0) 1865 247776.

*View out full list of training courses, seminars & webinars here: *
*https://www.alpsp.org/Events-Training*
<https://www.alpsp.org/Events-Training>

*Discounts for ALPSP members:*

   - Training courses and seminars booked 3+ months in advance receive an
   early bird discount.
   - Webinars: discounts available for several colleagues watching together.

*Not an ALPSP member?*
Want to take advantage of reduced member rates on training and other
benefits of membership? Visit *https://www.alpsp.org/How-to-Join*
<https://www.alpsp.org/How-to-Join>  to find out how your organization can
join ALPSP

Diane French
Learned Publisher Administrator
The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP)
E: *[log in to unmask]* <[log in to unmask]> T: +44 (0)7561 583831
W: *www.alpsp.org* <http://www.alpsp.org/> Follow us on Twitter: *@alpsp*