From: "Bergan, Rachel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 08:38:47 +0000

Hi Danny,

Thanks for taking a look at the new survey. If you’d prefer, I can email you a PDF of the report (an offer also open to anyone else in this discussion group) and the full dataset is available on Figshare at: https://figshare.com/collections/Taylor_Francis_Researcher_Survey_2019/4700408

You’re right, only one of the questions (submission choices) touches on hybrid. Given all the recent discussion about moving away from this model, we wanted to explore a few scenarios which might unfold if hybrid journals are no longer option for many researchers.

I hope some of these results are useful for future discussions.

Kind regards,

Rachel

Taylor & Francis Group

From: Danny Kingsley <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 09:24:15 +1000

Hello,

I (like others) have chosen not to provide my details to T&F to download the article, but looking at the summary page from the link below my observation is:

It is very frustrating that they appear not to have asked about hybrid versus fully gold (this may be for obvious reasons, given the large number of hybrid journals T&F publish). This is a source of great confusion amongst researchers, particularly in Australia where the academic literacy about open access is generally poor.

Given this statement:

Only a minority of researchers would definitely submit to a full open access journal which charged for publication.

40% of researchers wouldn’t submit to such a journal, primarily because they don’t have access to funds or don’t like paying to publish on principle. 40% of respondents might submit to a fully open access journal with fees, depending on the cost and whether funding is available to them.

One assumes that the: "42% have published the final version of an article open access in a journal (gold OA) in the last 12 months.” are either the 40% who might submit to fully OA journals, or they are publishing in journals that don’t charge APCs.

I see these numbers are being unhelpful because they are badly articulated.

Danny