From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 09:22:54 +0000

Dear Saskia and all,

I had not looked before at the Fair Open Access definitions. They (the
definitions) miss out what some of us think of as the main purpose of
publishing value added particularly the learned society publishers.  It is
all about processing. Nothing wrong with platforms but surely this is not
publishing in the way it has been understood.

Anthony

From: Saskia de Vries <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 16:25:41 +0000

Dear all, dear Anthony,

I was asked by Xenia to share her answer to Anthony as she is not a member
of this list, but it does clarify the questions Anthony posed.

In our Fair Open Access breakdown (see
https://www.fairopenaccess.org/breakdown-of-publication-services-and-fees/)
publishers are free to add or skip categories if that reflects their
publishing process in a better way. This conversation shows again that the
practice of publishing can differ enormously. One of the results our FOA
breakdown hopes to reach is that funders, librarians, authors, editors and
publishers realize this once again.

All best, Saskia

*******

Dear Anthony,

I am not member of this liblicense list, but Saskia was so kind to forward
you comment to me.

Indeed, Copernicus works different as many other publishers, so maybe some
people would call us a publication plattform. We do not have in-house
editors (one exception: we recently empoled a managing editor for our data
journal Earth System Sceince Data) and the learned societies acquire
editors themself, so our publications are scholar-led. We have close
contact to the societies not regarding the sceintific contnet but regarding
operational issues and general best practices (data policy, publication
ethics, etc.). In many cases, members of our staff attend editorial board
meetings but again this is to clairfy more “logistical” questions e.g.
regarding indexing.

I hope this helps. If you have any more question, please do not hesitate to
contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Xenia

Copernicus.org

Meetings & Open Access Publications

Dr. Xenia van Edig

Business Development

From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 10:01:32 +0000

Copernicus operate a very different model from the one that I am used to.

As a publisher it was not only my job to oversee and take responsibility
for all the processes described by Copernicus – the buck has to stop
somewhere – but I spent most of my time keeping in touch with the different
disciplinary communities in which I worked.  If the company in which I
worked as the owner of the journal how otherwise to you know enough to
select the editor, assist the editor with some sort of knowledge and
monitor progress.  If the owner of the journal was a learned society it was
expected that I worked closely with them and attend all their meetings and
other relevant meetings.  This is not a part of the job only for journals
publishers.  I am told by book people in the university press world that
probably 50% of their costs goes on the costs of the publishers keeping in
touch with the disciplines in which they work.

Among my past roles was head of journals at Oxford University Press and
previously mathematics editor. I no longer work for a publisher so I am not
up to date but look on the business from the outside as you can see from my
signature line.

Anthony

Anthony Watkinson

Principal Consultant CIBER Research

Honorary Lecturer University College London

Research Associate Oxford Brookes University

Director Charleston Library Conference

From: Saskia de Vries <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 09:37:19 +0000

FYI

This is to inform you that we published our APC breakdown:
https://publications.copernicus.org/apc_information.html. All elements can
be ticked to complete the graphic. We just posted our news item:
https://www.copernicus.org/news_and_press/. So you can circulate the info
in the group etc.

Thanks and best regards,

Xenia van Edig