From: "Maziar, Lucy (EDU)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 15:50:59 +0000

Good day colleagues,

I recently received an email from The Chronicle about the purchase of one of their reports that stated they did not sell print copies of their reports to libraries without a print license.  I was frankly flabbergasted, shocked, and dismayed.  Not only do libraries have to pay more for electronic books, now we have to pay more for print books?  Has anyone been required to pay for a print license?  Here is the text of the email I received:

“The reports sold in our online store are intended for individual use. We set colleges and libraries up with a print license to enter reports into their campus or library systems. If you are interested in licensing a print copy of this report for your institution, I can send you an invoice for this report for $299. Just like with digital licensing, this print license is indefinite, so you never need to worry about expirations, having to renew, or any additional costs. Incoming faculty and students will be able to enjoy these resources for generations to come. Please let me know if you have any questions that I can answer for you today, and if you are interested in proceeding. I’m happy to send you an invoice – are  you interested in a copy for individual use or group use?”

Is this even legal?  Does this strike anyone else as absolutely absurd?

This is the report I wanted to purchase:  https://store.chronicle.com/products/using-student-data-responsibly

Thanks for your input!

Best,

Lucy