From: Susan Lafferty <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 06:08:30 +0000

We have added a sentence to our Collection Development Policy:

The library will not purchase print material that requires a license or has limits on usage beyond the Copyright Act.’

i.e. Australian copyright act.

Best wishes

Susan

 From: Karin Wikoff <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2022 11:06:28 +0000

We take no position on what individuals do with their own money.  We are saying our library will not license print materials.  Here's our draft language so far (still working on a final form):

"The Ithaca College Library complies fully with all provisions on the U.S. Copyright Law and its amendments.  The library strongly supports the Fair Use section of the Copyright Law (17 U.S.
§ 107), which permits and protects citizens’ rights to reproduce and make other uses of copyrighted works for the purposes of teaching, scholarship, and research.  The library also strongly supports the First Sale doctrine of the Copyright Law (17 U.S. § 109), which provides that “an individual who knowingly purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder receives the right to sell, display or otherwise dispose of that particular copy, notwithstanding the interests of the copyright owner.”  (U.S. Dept. of Justice).  The library will not license print materials or sign away Fair Use or First Sale privileges for them."

(The first part about Fair Use already existed in our policy; the rest is the new draft).

I don't know if the publisher is hoping their policy will deter libraries from buying the materials in an attempt to force more individuals to shell out for their own copies, but even if that is the case, it does not change our position -- that it is wrong to roll back First Sale.  That is where we draw the line, in part because we can't realistically support a new category of physical books, each with its own set of anti-copyright restrictions.

If our position falls in line with a publisher strategy to squeeze more profits out of other customers, that stinks, but it's not something over which we have any control.

What is the alternative?  That we cave in and voluntarily give up First Sale?  Not here.

My opinions,

Karin

P.S.  If anyone has a better, more clear, and more recent quotation describing the rights that come with owning a physical book under the doctrine of First Sale without getting sidetracked into a discussion of sound recordings, let us know!

From: Darby Orcutt <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 08:44:32 -0500

Colleagues,

There are, as noted in this thread, more than enough pragmatic reasons alone for a library to not agree to this sort of license (management of an unusual sort of print item not the least of these), but I suspect that CHE is perhaps licensing in this way in order to actively deter library purchases (without the appearance of outright banning library sales). They are clearly interested in selling library and other subscriptions as well as monetizing this select content on top of those revenues. Libraries not purchasing these particular items would seem exactly what they want, especially if another customer (or multiple customers) at the same institution are purchasing instead, and there is no disruption to their subscription revenues.

For those who are suggesting that their library is taking a stand against this model, are you advising campus partners to do so as well, or just acting as a library unit? Are you refusing to purchase any CHE content, or just the individual items licensed in this way?

Thank you,

Darby

Darby Orcutt

Assistant Head, Collections & Research Strategy

NC State University Libraries