From: Greg Fleming <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2022 20:39:05 +0000

I recall the printed Dun & Bradstreet Million Dollar Directory stated that
it was property of D&B and the user was just leasing it. One place I worked
dutifully sent the old volumes back when the new edition arrived. My
current library has 35 years worth on the shelf, presumably still owned by
D&B according to them.

Greg

From: "Smith, Kevin L" <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 15:16:20 +0000

There have been efforts to do this before, with various levels of success.
There is an old case (1908, I think) from the US Supreme Court that said
that a publisher could not impose pricing conditions based on a unilateral
statement printed in the book (“The retail price of this book shall not be
less than $1.00” or words to that effect).  Basically, because no contract
was formed, this unilateral statement was not sufficient to overcome the
doctrine of first sale, or exhaustion.  But there have been efforts to sell
printed works in shrinkwrap licenses that would impose conditions on
lending or resale.  The state Bar Association in Maryland sold its
directory this way a few years ago, although I do not know if they are
still trying to do so.  Those licenses are probably effective as long as
there is some affirmative act of acceptance that supports the formation of
a contract.

With that background, I agree that we should not buy materials under these
conditions.

Kevin L. Smith

Dean of Libraries, University of Kansas

Director, University Press of Kansas