From: Young Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 15:45:58 +0000

Dear colleagues,

Berghahn Journals is delighted to announce that all 2024 volumes in our Berghahn Open Anthro – Subscribe-to-Open (BOA-S2O) collection will be open access.

The BOA-S2O collection, which now includes 16 journals, is in its fifth year thanks to the continued support of the library community. Now with over 50 collections level participants and 300 title level participants on board, we have published over 850 open access research articles from over 60 countries. Together with the other scholarly outputs published by these journals, over 1,900 authors have been able to publish open access without paying APCs. We continue to see significant usage increases due to the expanded discoverability and accessibility. Furthermore, we have been able to expand the collection by adding two renowned society journals: Social Anthropology/Anthropologie sociale (published on behalf the European Association of Social Anthropologists) in 2022 and Ethnologia Europaea (published on behalf of the International Society for Ethnology and Folklore) in 2024.

For the BOA-S2O titles to remain open in 2025 and beyond, continuous renewal support is essential. Libraries must continue to renew their subscriptions each year to support the cost of journal publication without author-facing charges. Participating libraries receive backfile access with an active subscription and ‘guaranteed open access’ benefits for their researchers which ensures Gold Open Access status should the threshold not be met for a particular year.

The positive impact we have seen since 2020, for all stakeholders, reaffirms our dedication to S2O and we look forward to continuing to publish vital anthropology research and pushing forward in our mission of equitable and sustainable open access.

Find complete details on Berghahn’s Subscribe to Open program here.

______

About Berghahn Open Anthro:

Berghahn Open Anthro is a pioneering S2O initiative for anthropology conceived and implemented by Berghahn in partnership with Libraria, a collective of researchers based in the social sciences. Founded in 1994, Berghahn is an independent mission-driven press committed to enabling innovative contributions to scholarship in its fields of specialty. Visit: www.berghahnbooks.com

Berghahn is a founding member of the Subscribe to Open Community of Practice, whose purpose is to disseminate good practice for all stakeholders to adopt and implement the principles of S2O with the goal of building consensus around the model as a sustainable mechanism for delivering open access.

Contact: Young Lee, Journals Marketing and Library Relations Manager: [log in to unmask]