From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2015 20:22:34 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 18:01:01 -0500

Kevin is evidently not aware that for most books they publish
university presses do pay royalties, just as commercial publishers do.

He also seems not to have read Robert Sproos's book titled "Without
Copyrights" (Oxford 2013) that shows that the language of piracy and
stealing was very
commonly used in the late 19th and early 20th centuries in reference
to American publishers bringing out U.S. editions of foreign works
when there was no legal copyright protection for them at all. My use
of the word is much more literally true because I am talking about
actual copyright infringement if, say, libraries as publishers were to
issue POD editions of u-p ebooks posted under a CC-BY-ND-NC license,
which they might do to further the progress of knowledge while
denigrating all commercial interests.

Sandy Thatcher