From: Jan Szczepanski <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 12:00:30 +0100

Rachel Erb wrote:

Hi Jan,

Thank you for sharing this list. In addition to Jeroen Bosman’s requests,
it would be helpful to know if EBSCO uses this title list to include OA
content in their subscription databases. If so, identifying those titles
along with the corresponding database would be great.

Thanks again,

Rachel

*Rachel A. Erb*

*Director of E-Resources*

*Florida Virtual Campus (FLVC)*

1753 West Paul Dirac Drive

Tallahassee, Florida

REPLY:

I got this answer from EBSCO

Szczepanski’s List has been one of the most useful assets utilized as input
to EBSCO’s product development process for curation of content in EBSCO
Discovery Service (EDS) and EBSCOhost research databases.  Our research
services have the goal of combining open access (OA) journals and non-open
access (non-OA) journals into a single research experience for the end
user.  While our licensing (inclusion of full text) priorities are
primarily for non-OA journals for our research databases, our curation and
indexing activities are extremely active when it comes to open access
journals.  Once validated and certified for inclusion, these OA journals
are treated with high-quality subject indexing and sophisticated,
precise/accurate full-text linking.  If a library subscribed to all
EBSCOhost research databases, their users would be accessing the most of
the journals in Szczepanski’s List, alongside non-OA journals.  No single
EBSCO research database covers a majority of the journals in Szczepanski’s
List; however, there are some individual databases that contain 5,000+ OA
journals.  For example, Academic Search Ultimate (ASU), includes
high-quality metadata and precise linking for more than 6,500 OA journals
(most of which are in Szczepanski’s List).

May I add that I think a good library should add 20% of the titles in their
collections/catalogues because they are of extremely high quality and value and
would be appreciated by the patrons.

Cherry picking is the future according to an old retired librarian

Jan

--
Jan Szczepański
F.d Förste bibliotekarie och chef för f.d Avdelningen för humaniora,