From: Melanie Cheung <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Feb 8, 2024 at 2:21 PM

New Frontiers: The expanding scope of the modern research library

#RLUK24 Virtual Conference :: 20-22 March 2024

Join us at the RLUK24 Conference, a virtual event being held on 20-22 March 2024.

The role of the research library continues to expand as formats multiply, technology advances, and the expectations of the research community grow. As in many sectors, AI has the potential to significantly shift the research process, research dissemination, and workflows. All aspects of library activity could be impacted, from content creation, cataloguing and metadata, through to interactions with researchers. But with these exciting possibilities come ethical considerations and the need to consider the impact on both staff and users of libraries. RLUK24 seeks to consider the potential of AI but will give space to pause and consider the implications of such rapid and significant change.

Research libraries are placed within larger institutions and the wider communities – both local, national, and international. RLUK24 will investigate the ways in which libraries can align and support institutional strategies, build partnerships, and engage with wider (often new) communities.

As our libraries take on this expanding scope, the skills that library staff need also expand. RLUK24 will look at leadership in a post-pandemic blended world, as well as ways in which we can demonstrate the impact and value of new activities.

Confirmed keynote speakers at the event are:

  • Alison Mudditt, Chief Executive Officer of the Public Library of Science (PLOS)
  • Natasha McCarthy, Associate Director, National Engineering Policy Centre, at the Royal Academy of Engineering
  • Renée Cummings, Professor of Practice in Data Science, University of Virginia
  • Torsten Reimer, University Librarian and Dean of the University Library, University of Chicago
  • Kate Robson Brown, Vice-President for Research, Innovation and Impact at University College Dublin

The RLUK Conference is open to all and is an excellent opportunity for colleagues to connect and discuss how we can help shape the research library of the 21st century.

Find out more about the conference, view the programme and register

Conference fees

We aim to make the virtual RLUK Conference as accessible as possible and have kept the fees low to ensure the widest possible participation.

  • RLUK Member delegate: £25 +VAT (£30) This ticket option is open to colleagues from an RLUK member institution only.
  • Non-RLUK Member (UK): £100 +VAT (£120) This ticket option is for delegates that are based in the UK, and are NOT from an RLUK member institution.
  • International (outside the UK): £100 This ticket option is for delegates that are based outside of the UK, and that are not subject to VAT.

Conference bursaries and networking grants

We aim to make the RLUK24 Conference as accessible as possible, and to help achieve this we are offering a number of bursaries to help those that may otherwise not be able to participate with the conference. This year we are also offering a networking grant to facilitate regional, in-person conference events.

We particularly encourage those from underrepresented groups to apply for these bursaries. These may include but are not limited to:

  • Members of ethnic minority communities and other underrepresented groups within the library and information sectors
  • Early career researchers and professionals
  • Low income households or those for whom the fee is prohibitive

We welcome applications from all colleagues with a professional interest in the research sector, from the UK, Ireland or internationally. RLUK24 bursaries and grants are NOT restricted to colleagues working in RLUK member institutions.

RLUK24 registration bursaries

We are offering 20 registration bursaries which will cover 100% of the cost of the conference fee for colleagues from underrepresented groups, early career professionals, those in roles below associate director level, or those who would otherwise not normally attend the event.

RLUK24 access bursaries

We recognise that even for virtual events there may be some barriers which prevent people from fully participating in the conference. Our access bursaries are provided to help overcome some of these barriers. They may be in respect of technology limitations, or to cover costs for care for parents and caregivers, or to give you the space to engage with the conference by being able to rent a hot desk space etc. Access bursaries are for the maximum amount of £200 and there are five bursaries on offer.

RLUK24 networking grants

We wish to help facilitate regional, in person, networking ‘watch parties’ during the conference, and are offering a limited number of grants of £2,000 which may cover the costs for room hire, technology, catering and other incidental costs for an in-person event.

A key requirement for networking grants is that any event must be open to colleagues from outside the applicant’s own department, institution or organisation, and the audience that the event will be promoted to should be listed in the application. This may include other local institutions, membership bodies or staff/ECRs within institutions outside of the library.

Find out more and apply for the RLUK24 Conference bursaries and networking grants