From: Ari Belenkiy <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:34:31 -0800

Paid reviewers, Thomas? Excellent idea.

But who are the "reviewers who write no papers themselves"? Emeriti? Not sure one can be unbiased even if s/he sees the work that goes against their own former writings.

In fact, your proposal reminds of the Paradox of the Barber "who shaves only those who don't shave themselves". Such a person does not exist after all.

Ari Belenkiy

Vancouver BC
Canada

From: Thomas Krichel <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 18:26:09 +0000

Rick Anderson writes

> Given the hard data cited in the article, I felt like the tone of writing
> was actually oddly calm.

I agree. And beyond that, I suggest that the idea that science can be self-policing is on life support. We need paid reviewers, who write no papers, so that they are have unbiased incentives.

--  Written by Thomas Krichel http://openlib.org/home/krichel on his 21434th day.