From: Kim Hetherington <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 17:25:46 +0000

****Apologies for cross-posting****

Sent on behalf of Sarah Logan

16 February 2024 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

*New Read & Publish agreement between The Company of Biologists and both
the KESLI and KCUE Consortia, Republic of Korea*

The Company of Biologists is delighted to announce a new Read & Publish

Open Access (OA) agreement with the Korean E-resource Service for Library
Consortium (KESLI) <https://www.kesli.or.kr/web/index.do> and the Korean
Council for University Education (KCUE) <http://www.kcue.or.kr/index.htm>
Consortium, Republic of Korea.

KESLI and KCUE are both large consortia who often collaborate to support
their members. This agreement, which runs from 1 January 2024 to 31
December 2026, is currently available to hundreds of member institutions in
the Republic of Korea. This is the Company’s first consortium agreement in
the Republic of Korea and *LIS KOREA,* our representative*, **was
influential* *in** helping us establish this agreement.*

Corresponding authors at participating institutions in the Republic of
Korea can publish an uncapped number of research articles immediately Open
Access (OA) in our hybrid journals (Development, Journal of Cell Science
and Journal of Experimental Biology) and our fully Open Access journals
(Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open) without paying an article
processing charge (APC). Researchers at participating institutions also
benefit from unlimited access to our hybrid journals, including their full
archives dating back to 1853.

*Dr Kim Wan-Jong, Director of Open Access Center at the Korea Institute of
Science and Information (KISTI), says:*

“It is a great pleasure to announce the inclusion of The Company of
Biologists in the KESLI Consortium through their committed Read & Publish
agreement. This agreement marks a significant step in the long journey to
full Open Access. Through the Korean E-resource Service for Library (KESLI)
Consortium, we will cooperate with Open Access innovators, including global
publishers and the research community, to advance Open Access in the
Republic of Korea.”

*Sung-Chul Moon, Director of the Electronic Information Business Division
of the University Library Association at The Korea University of College
Library Association, says:*

“The KCUE Consortium is a joint purchasing consortium of university
libraries in the Republic of Korea. The 2024-2026 Read & Publish agreement
with The Company of Biologists is the second Open Access conversion
agreement for the KCUE Consortium. With this contract, universities have
secured both The Company of Biologists’ journals and Open Access publishing
rights and can contribute to the spread of open science, where academic
research outputs are freely available not only to university researchers
but also to anyone in the world. In the future, the KCUE Consortium plans
to accelerate Open Access conversion agreements with more publishers.”

*Tony Kim, CEO, LIS KOREA, says:*

“We are delighted to launch The Company of Biologists’ Read & Publish
initiative at the KESLI and KCUE consortia. The Read & Publish initiative
in the Republic of Korea will improve access to five leading peer-reviewed
journals and will enhance Open Access research output without the need to
pay APCs. We will continue to work with The Company of Biologists to
support libraries and research communities in the Republic of Korea.”

*Sarah Logan, Regional Sales Manager at The Company of Biologists, says: *

“We are thrilled to announce a Read & Publish agreement with KESLI and
KCUE. This has been enabled by our new partnership with LIS KOREA, whose
role in informing, engaging, and supporting libraries has resulted in a
large proportion of existing subscribers switching to Read & Publish
through the agreement.

This enthusiastic response from libraries demonstrates the significant
appeal of Read & Publish which provides researchers in the Republic of
Korea with fee-free Open Access publishing of Research Articles in all five
of our journals, increasing the visibility and reach of their research. The
high level of engagement from consortia members has now secured significant
discounts for libraries joining the agreement.”

*View participating institutions*
<https://www.biologists.com/library-hub/read-publish/library-consortia/read-publish-open-access-agreement-with-both-the-kesli-and-kcue-consortia/>*
| **Read the announcement online*
<https://www.biologists.com/library-hub/read-publish/library-consortia/kesli-kcue-announcement-2024/>

*About the KESLI Consortium*

The KESLI Consortium, operated by KISTI, provides a range of services to
support libraries in public and research institutions in Korea to
efficiently access electronic information. It also proactively accepts open
access proposals, including transformative agreements that convert
subscription-based electronic scholarly materials to open access. For more
information, please visit the website (www.kesli.or.kr).

*About the KCUE Consortium*

The KCUE Consortium is organised by the Council for University Education
and operated by The Korea University and College Library Association. It
concentrates on supporting the changing university research environment,
reducing the cost of purchasing university library materials, and securing
work efficiency. For more information, please visit the website (kcue.or.kr
<http://www.kcue.or.kr/index.htm>.)

*About The Company of Biologists*

The Company of Biologists is a not-for-profit publishing organisation
dedicated to supporting and inspiring the biological community. We partner
with libraries and library consortia to enable biologists woldwide to
access our leading peer-reviewed hybrid journals — Development, Journal of
Cell Science and Journal of Experimental Biology — and our fully OA
journals — Disease Models & Mechanisms and Biology Open.

We also have a long-standing and ongoing commitment to Open Access. Our
cost-neutral

Read & Publish initiative enables corresponding authors at participating
institutions to publish an uncapped number of OA research articles in our
hybrid journals and our two fully OA journals – without paying an Article
Processing Charge (APC). We were the first not-for-profit publisher to
commit to the Transformative Journal approach and our journals were the
first to be awarded Transformative Journal status by Plan S. Over 750
institutions in 47 countries
<https://www.biologists.com/library-hub/read-publish/participating-institutions/>
are now participating in our cost neutral Read & Publish OA initiative
<https://www.biologists.com/library-hub/read-publish/>. We also have Read &
Publish agreements with many library consortia
<https://www.biologists.com/library-hub/read-publish/library-consortia/>.

*Contact:* *Sarah Logan, Regional Sales Manager*

*Email:*     *[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*

*Website:* *biologists.com/read-publish*
<https://www.biologists.com/read-publish>

*Twitter:*  *@Co_Biologists*