From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 17:24:14 -0700

The case of Hachette et al. v. Internet Archive lumbers on.  It is mostly
impossible to comment on this case without getting into the partisan weeds,
and not much point to doing that.  This is the kind of case that will have
its life independent of what the enlightened general reader thinks or
expects and will end where it ends.  For the latest:

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/94607-aap-files-brief-opposing-internet-archive-s-bid-to-appeal-ruling-in-infringement-suit.html

But I will allow myself what feels like a non-partisan set of
observations.

1.  The future of intellectual property is bound up with accessibility,
use, and reuse.  A book or article that is not accessible in the space of
intelligent consumption -- a digitally dominated space -- will disappear
forever, like an ancient poet who never managed to get copied into the
newfangled codex technology and lies today in the sands of Egypt hoping,
for the most part in vain, that some archaeologist may yet dig up his
papyrus roll.  When (not if) humankind outsources much of what we now call
reading to bots and agents and other Ai interventions yet unborn, the
inaccessible intellectual object will simply no longer have a meaningful
existence.

2.  It is equally unmistakable that we do not yet have a civilizational
strategy for rescuing much of our heritage from inaccessibility.  A book
that has not entered the public domain depends utterly for its future on
the wishes of the owner of its copyright and the owner's ability to find a
medium of dissemination that suits their needs.  Many such books are
trapped in the estates of dead authors who have no resourceful heirs to
ensure propagation of the work.  That way lies oblivion.

How shall we rescue our past, that is ourselves, from this dilemma?
Controlled digital lending has been introduced as one hypothetical path
forward, with many advantages and of course disadvantages.  If the only
reasonable reaction to its strategy is outraged suppressive litigation,
then the only reasonable question to ask of the outraged parties is:  so
what do we do instead?  How do we rescue the past?  I may have missed
something, of course, but I've not yet heard a coherent and realistic
answer to that question.

Jim O'Donnell
ASU