From: Maria Bustillos <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 12:01:27 +0000

SO well said, Jim. What a spectacular note, thank you.

Some positive steps for the 'civilizational strategy' you propose might
include

   - publicly-funded repositories for born-digital works written (and
   curated) by human beings, for permanent purchase by libraries
   - clearly codified terms for the purchase (and reversion!) of rights for
   publishers, distributors and rights holders, so people understand what
   they're signing
   - a rock-solid means of ensuring that current library rights (including
   the right of first sale) are preserved for digital works

I hope there may yet be a way to rescue much of the 20th century from
oblivion. For now, there are a lot of writers out here who, like me, are
way more interested in cultural posterity and the future of libraries than
we are in maximizing our own royalties. My colleagues and I are working
right now to ensure that authors and other rights holders like ourselves
will be able to *choose* to sell permanent copies of our digital works to
libraries, where they can be loaned out to patrons in the traditional way.

best to all

Maria

Founding editor, Flaming Hydra <https://flaminghydra.com>, P
<http://www.popula.com>opula <http://www.popula.com> and The Brick House