From: Ronald Snijder <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 06:27:13 +0000

Dear Jim O'Donnell,

The Knowledge Unlatched collection has also been made available in the
OAPEN Library:
https://library.oapen.org/discover?filtertype=collection&filter_relational_operator=equals&filter=Knowledge+Unlatched+%28KU%29

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Ronald Snijder, PhD

CTO/Head of Research OAPEN Foundation

Prins Willem-Alexanderhof 5

PO Box 90407

2509 LK The Hague

The Netherlands

(My timezone is CET/CEST)

email: [log in to unmask]

www.oapen.org

ORCID: 0000-0001-9260-4941 <https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9260-4941>

------------------------------

From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 22:27:03 -0700

I may be missing something, or else this is instructive.  I've followed
Knowledge Unlatched for a decade, always interested, but never quite
persuaded.  (Full disclosure:  my institution does not subscribe.)  I
realize on reading this and following the links that I have two questions
about discovery.

First, is there in any convenient place a conspectus of KU books,
conveniently arranged for browsing by subject areas, that could entice me
to look into books I've not heard of or not gotten around to admiring up
close?  I can't find that on the KU website.  If we think of KU as a kind
of redistributive publisher, I'd like to be able to browse *their* catalog.

Second, what is the underlying strategy of discovery?  The access to MARC
records on the website suggests that readers are *expected* to encounter
these items in library online catalogs where institutions have taken the
time and trouble to import MARC records -- and then they will be found only
by those using classic discovery tools with a particular personal focus.
For example, if there is the definitive work on the lesser works of Fulke
Greville in the series, I will find it if I am pursuing Greville but not
otherwise.

I say again, I may be missing something, even something obvious, and I
apologize for that if that's the case, and would appreciate being set
right.  But I have a growing concern about how users discover new
scholarship in the real world.  How do these very good books get found?

Jim O'Donnell
ASU