From: Annika Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 11:20 AM

*Apologies for cross-posting*

Further to my message back in March, the DOAJ community consultation is now live, and we hope that many of you would like to help shaping the future of the service by sparing 10 minutes over a cup of coffee or tea to fill in our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DOAJconsultation

DOAJ has commissioned Gold Leaf to consult with the community to ensure that the data collected by the service is relevant, necessary, and useful. All global stakeholders and users of DOAJ, regardless of location, are encouraged to participate in the survey, which can be found here.

The survey is also available in French, Spanish and Portuguese.

The directory indexes more than 20,400 journals. A journal’s entry in the directory may contain up to 43 different pieces of data, including 15 links, that have been checked and verified by hand. With this consultation, DOAJ would like to review how to maximise its impact with limited resources.

Gold Leaf will collect feedback with the survey and then follow up with individual interviews for a select group of volunteers. The survey should take about 10-15 minutes to complete.

DOAJ and Gold Leaf will publicly share the headline results from this consultation and email them to each participant who has asked for them.

All information provided will be treated with the strictest confidence. Neither you nor your organisation will be identified in the report or other outputs from the survey.

The survey will close on Friday, 6 May 2024.

If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch.

Thank you for contributing to the improvement of DOAJ!

Annika Bennett

Gold Leaf

https://goldleaf.co.uk

 DOAJ commissions a new metadata survey

DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals) has appointed Gold Leaf, a small consultancy based jointly in the UK and the USA, to conduct a thorough survey of the journal-level metadata it collects.

Currently, DOAJ indexes more than 20,300 journals. Every entry is checked manually. The new survey will seek feedback from all stakeholders worldwide – researchers, librarians, funders, professional organisations and industry support groups – on how they use the metadata DOAJ collects and displays and how it might be streamlined.  Gold Leaf will use an online survey as the primary research vehicle and follow up the main survey with individual interviews.

Dominic Mitchell, DOAJ, said: “We’re delighted to work with Gold Leaf on what will be a cornerstone piece of work for us this year. Our stakeholder communities are key in the continuing success of DOAJ and we want to ensure that we remain reliable and trustworthy to them and all users.”

Linda Bennett of Gold Leaf said: “Gold Leaf feels privileged to have been chosen for this initiative, which will make a significant contribution to the Open Access project across the world.”

The survey will be launched in early April. It will be publicised widely, both on social media and through direct communication via DOAJ’s and Gold Leaf’s many contacts. Gold Leaf will also actively seek out responses from new contacts and welcomes direct approaches from all stakeholders who would like to participate.

To receive the link to the survey or for more information about the project, please sign up here or contact Gold Leaf:

Annika Bennett [log in to unmask] (based in the UK)

Linda Bennett  [log in to unmask] (based in the UK)

Brigitte Shull [log in to unmask] (based in the USA).

DOAJ and Gold Leaf anticipate that the work will have been completed by the end of July 2024. The results and recommendations will be published soon afterwards.

Annika Bennett

Gold Leaf

phone: +44 (0) 1480 839006

mobile: +44 (0) 7974 554967