From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2012 21:05:02 -0500
From: Brandon Nordin <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 16:29:54 +0000

Deborah – et. al:

I think there are 2 interrelated issues here:  A) the overall business
model that gets applied to OA and its potential impact on subscription
fees on an institution by institution basis and B) the operational
model – how APCs get administered, paid, tracked, applied etc.  Both
are fairly complex, and tap into requirements that are latent in most
publishers' (and I suspect, most libraries') infrastructures.

To my reading, the funders are still dealing at a fairly high level –
with essentially conceptual policy.  I've  just came back from meeting
with several of the key players in the UK research and library world –
where there is a hybrid Gold/Green OA mandate scheduled to become
active in early April. It's clear that there are a lot of details that
still need to be worked out…before publishers can start addressing the
systematic challenges required to put the plan into practice. Yet the
deadlines are looming quickly – and 10's of thousands of authors are
soon going to be looking for answers within the next few months.

Similarly on the publisher side, until now, there has been little real
need to have links between our content and publishing management
systems – and our transactional and billing systems.  Just simple
requirements – like identifying the institutions that authors self
identify with (and typically hand enter using non normalized, non
coded data) and tying them to our institutional account numbers – are
non trivial in implementation – all the more so when multiple authors
come from different institutions (and may have different sets of
funders).

The reality is that we are going to see a period of organized
confusion – as publishers, research agencies, and institutional
libraries struggle between building new systems around potentially
dueling or "unarticulated" standards and shoehorning new processes
into existing systems.  This is pretty typical with any disruptive
cycle – part of the pain and part of the fun of managing change, I
suppose, depending how much of an adrenaline junkie you are.

Brandon A. Nordin
Vice President, Sales, Marketing & Digital Strategy
ACS PUBLICATIONS

*******

From: Deborah Lenares <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 08:30:48 -0500

Hi Jill,

This is a very interesting idea.  The oft tossed around idea that APC
fees will simply come from library budgets, while we continue to pay
subscription fees, has been very troubling to me.  This concept would
aid in that transition.

Perhaps there's a way to attempt this at a higher level through broad
collaborative discussions with certain publishers, instead of during
license negotiations.  If we can show success (as defined by all
stakeholders) with a small number of publishers, perhaps others would
more easily adopt it.

I would be interested in participating and surely we will find other
libraries (large and small) who would be interested in participating.

What do the publisher-type folks on the list think?  Would
collaborative publisher-author-library discussions around this concept
be productive?

Best,
Deborah Lenares
--
Manager Acquisitions and Resource Sharing
Science Collection Management Librarian