From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2019 21:35:49 -0500
From: Cris Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 11:12:53 -0600

Hello all,

First, apologies, this message has been cross-posted to a couple of
listservs.

Twice this week I have heard of librarians discussing either an interaction
with a specific vendor or the product from a specific vendor on a listserv,
and, as a result of that conversation, the vendor has contact the
librarian's employer off the listserv (presumably to request either
disciplinary action or a retraction).

Has this happened to you or a colleague?  If so, I am interested in hearing
more about it - the specifics of the case (if they can be shared, of
course), how your administration reacted, what the ultimate solution was.
If it hasn't happened to you, I'd still be interested in hearing your
thoughts on the purpose of listserv communication, how it is used to
discuss vendors and products, and what it means when a vendor takes that
communication and contacts an employer in regards to it.

If you are hesitant to post about an interaction with a vendor directly to
the list, please feel free to contact me off list at the contact
information below.  As I gather information on this, I am happy to work
with you to protect anonymity if that is what you prefer.  I also think
this is a two-way street.  I would be interested in hearing from vendors
who have contacted, or wished they could perhaps contact, a librarian's
supervisor to help me understand why this might be necessary.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am noodling on the idea of an
editorial of some kind on this topic, but nothing is finalized.  I am
really just fascinated by this phenomenon and interested in people's
thoughts.

Thanks,
Cris Ferguson
Cris Ferguson
Assistant Dean of Libraries / Associate Professor
222 Waterfield Library
Murray State University
Murray, KY 42071
270-809-5607