From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 18:35:04 -0500
From: "Bargheer, Margo Friederike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:20:04 +0000

Seen from the author's perspective it doesn't make sense that
publications are available solely at the publisher's platform. Forcing
authors to take down their OWN content from the networks that they
obviously like (ACEDEMIA.edu) to use therefore is a bad service
vis-a-vis authors. Hopefully this unfriendly action will backfire in
the long run and hopefully authors remember this when submitting their
next article to such a publisher.

But maybe it does backfire already and maybe Elsevier's statement "We
aim to ensure that the final published version of an article is
readily discoverable and citable via the journal itself in order to
maximize the usage metrics and credit for our author" isn't just odd
but simply wrong.

Limiting access to publications by presenting them only on
ScienceDirect results in lower citations to Elsevier's articles that
they would gain if provided on several channels. Chris Snyder and Mark
McCabe have provided accurate evidence to this in their article "Does
Online Availability Increase Citations?",
available here http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1746243

Even when it comes to the credits for the author and the journal I
think Elsevier's strategy is wrong: if I write a post or an email I
happily cite SSRN or green OA papers. If I would write an article for
tenure and promotion my reference would go to the published version
unregarded to where I found it.

Best
Margo

From: Deborah Lenares <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 09:21:25 -0500

This could actually be quite helpful in educating faculty about the
importance of reading and taking seriously "the copyright transfer
agreements that [they] blithely sign".

This may be the only way that faculty pay attention to the rights they
are signing away and make a decision to publish with publishers that
permit inclusion in an IR or publish as open access.

As long as authors can continue their current practices, regardless of
the terms that they've agreed to, there is no reason for them to
change.  Something must disrupt the system.

Deborah Lenares

Manager Acquisitions and Resource Sharing
Science Collection Management Librarian
Clapp Library - Wellesley College
Wellesley, Massachusetts 02481