From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:53:14 -0400
From: Michael A. Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 2:15 PM

FANTASTIC FUTURES

The National library of Norway and Stanford University Libraries’
AI-Conference

Oslo, Norway, December 5th 2018

Registration to the first major conference on artificial intelligence
and machine learning in the international library community is now
open.

As more and more memory and knowledge institutions’ collections become
digital while continuing to expand, we are already observing
significant consequences for their upkeep. For the past two years the
National library of Norway has experimented with Machine Learning (ML)
for library purposes, named after the famous public librarian Nancy
Pearl, our IA “Nancy” has worked both with cataloging and analyzing
parts of out collection.  Based on a limited set of experiments, its
already obvious that AI/ML represents a new level in library
development. We will present some of the results of this work during
the conference.

Some of the leading thinkers in the field will participate in the
conference, addressing both the opportunities and the challenges that
the AI revolution poses to the world in general, and to knowledge
institutions specifically, amongst them assistant professor, author
and journalist Meredith Broussard, who will talk about how AI not only
helps us interpret the world, but also misinterprets and brings bias
to it, and CEO of Yewno, Ruggero Gramatica, who will address the
question of how AI/ML can help us structure the information in the
collection of libraries in new ways. A series of organizations
including the Danish library central and the oil company Equinor, will
share their experiences with Ai in analyzing big data or structuring
information.

Details regarding preliminary program and registration is available on
this website:   www.nb.no/fantastic-futures/

No registration or conference fee.

Welcome to Oslo December 5th

Michael A. Keller
Vice Provost and University Librarian; Director of Academic
Information Resources
Vice Provost for Teaching and Learning
Publisher Stanford University Press
Stanford University