From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2019 18:07:40 -0400
From:  Joanne Romano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Thu, 27 Jun 2019 15:33:18 +0000

I agree with Lucy's sentiments here. Budget levels, subscription price
increases, terms of use, ease of use, etc., are also my top concerns
also when negotiating with publishers.

Any user can choose to obtain free, pirated content from either
ResearchGate or SciHub.  But this fact does not influence my
decision-making, and isn't considered, when it comes to subscription
renewals.

Best regards,

Joanne

Joanne V. Romano, MLS
Head of Resource Management
Texas Medical Center Library
1133 John Freeman Blvd.
Houston, TX 77030
Office: 713-799-7144
Fax:   713-799-7844
www.library.tmc.edu

________________________________
From: "Maziar, Lucy (EDU)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 18:49:26 +0000

It has certainly never been in the background on any negotiations with
vendors that I have been involved in.  My negotiations have always
about rising costs, static or reduced budgets, and the value of the
resource to my community along with license terms, customer service,
ease of use, etc.  Sci Hub and ResearchGate are never in my mind.  I
also would like to see the data that supports that statement that they
are in the background of every library negotiation with publishers.

Best,

Lucy

Lucia Maziar
Library Director
US Coast Guard Academy
Library (DL)
35 Mohegan Ave
New London CT  06320
860.444.8517

________________________________

From: Danny Kingsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:35:24 +1000

Not the ones I have been involved with Joe.  Perhaps others on the
list might wish to indicate their situations?  Or is there evidence
that I have missed in the public domain somewhere?

The point I am making is:
1. The story is misleading because it is directly claiming
subscriptions are being cancelled because of ResearchGate when it does
not support that with anything substantial, it is all inferred
2. These kinds fo claims are what publishers use to justify embargoes, when:
3. ResearchGate ignores embargoes anyway

The only group that take any notice of embargoes are libraries (the
same libraries that are the ones that pay the subscriptions, mind
you), and they are not the threat anyway.

Embargoes are an expensive (in terms of time spent managing them)
furphy created to ’solve’ a problem that generates elsewhere, and
where there is no evidence to support the original claim regardless.

Danny