From:
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2015 19:01:47 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 10:33:51 +0100

Dear Rick

I agree that there is very little evidence. I use "very little" rather
than "no" evidence because people tell me that there is evidence in
certain disciplines but I have not seen it. There is modelling which
is a different matter. Libraries are not going to cancel if it is
difficult or impossible to get together the contents of a particular
issue - we all know that. They may not even cancel then but perhaps
there will be less pressure from patrons to keep the journal.
Cancellation decisions are made with different criteria in mind - at
the moment.

It seems to me that it is all a matter of harvesting and metadata. If
OAI-PMH or something a little less complicated is revived or becomes
front line and if repositories actually manage to attach proper
metadata to what they ingest, the situation will change. How quickly
might that happen? It is like those regular questions at conferences
where a panel are asked how soon gold Open Access will become the
default journals model or whatever "tipping point" is used.

Over the decades I have noticed that the projections have tended to recede.

I suppose the question for publishers is whether they should believe
the projections of fanatical green activists (not Professor Harnad)
and act accordingly or whether they should believe the concept of
librarians being unable to organise themselves to make repositories a
threat which is put forward by the CEO of one very large company (not
Elsevier).

Anthony