From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 15:31:43 -0400
From: "Hinchliffe, Lisa W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2018 18:08:56 +0000

This is a fairly-widely reported effect of GDPR. Though, of course, Jim -
you can't see that coverage!

Purely personal speculation on my part but ... I think many platforms are
going to watch whether the enforcement mechanisms of GDPR prove strong and,
if not, we'll see widespread flaunting of the requirements.

Lisa

--

Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe
Professor/ Coordinator for Information Literacy Services and Instruction

------------------------------
From: "Jim O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2018 09:51:39 -0700

So I clicked on a Facebook story reporting the scoop that Melania Trump has
gone to hide out living with the Obamas.  I think it's important to stay on
top of the news.  The link led me to the Chicago Tribune and ... well I'm
in Europe at the moment, land of renewed emphasis on data privacy, where I
got a white screen with the Tribune logo at the top and a helpful
"Copyright 2018 by the Chicago Tribune" at the bottom (good to be reminded
of my legal obligations, but between this surprising text:

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European
countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options
that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We
continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all
readers with our award-winning journalism.

​A different American newspaper had popped up with an "unavailable in your
region for legal reasons" and the Redbox video rental chain produces
"Access denied".  How to tell this story?  America cuts itself off further
from the world?  European bureaucrats hammer free enterprise?

Jim O'Donnell
ASU