From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 15:35:02 -0400
From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 05:56:30 +0000

> As for counting up how many articles a library gets each year, I admit I

> never realized that this would be a hard number to get to.

One reason it’s hard is that individual journals publish different numbers
of articles per year, and the typical mid-sized research library subscribes
to thousands of journals each year – some of them in large subject packages
or Big Deals, but hundreds or even thousands more as individual
subscriptions. (Notwithstanding the popular myth that academic libraries no
longer carry individual journal subscriptions.) It might be relatively easy
to say how many articles the library has paid for in a given year from any
one of those journals, but gathering the data for all of them would be a
real slog. (Not complicated work, but a lot of work.)

Another reason is that a very large number of the articles we pay for each
year are provided by third-party vendors like EBSCO and ProQuest in the
form of aggregated journal packages. The interesting thing about these
packages is that their content changes over time; a journal may be included
this year but replaced by a different one the next year—or even in the
middle of the year. We’re fine with that ambiguity because we don’t count
on these packages as reliable delivery systems for particular journals—we
use them as enormous bags of articles. So the point of Academic Search
Premier isn’t that it’s a good way to get reliable, continuous access to
Biology Journal X, but that it’s a reliable source of good biology
articles. As long as the package works well as a general undergraduate
research tool, we don’t care that much about which particular journals are
included. (We do care somewhat, but not the way we would if we were
subscribing to those journals specifically or in a subject package.)

These are just two of the factors that make it difficult for a library to
say, in any given year, how many articles it has paid for.

---

Rick Anderson

Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication

Marriott Library, University of Utah

Desk: (801) 587-9989

Cell: (801) 721-1687

 From: JJE Esposito <[log in to unmask]>

Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 14:31:25 -0500

Ann,

Thanks for wrestling with the question. I will provide some background, but
first let me say that after your reference to Winnie the Pooh, I reminisced
a bit with Jefferson Airplane's "House at Pooneil Corners":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s_oAV9LtJE

Makes you just want to drop acid, doesn't it?

Back to the article count. I have been working on a project to facilitate a
negotiation, and have observed that neither party understands the key
issues of the other side. For publishers, for example, the essential
questions are: How much does it cost us to publish one article (the
editorial cost, which is the big one) and, How much do we make for each
article we publish? That last question is revenue across all customers
combined. For the large commercial publishers that figure is usually in the
$5,000-$6,000. For not-for-profit publishers it is usually much higher.
Mega-properties (Nature, Science) occupy an entirely different realm.
(Note: revenue is not the same thing as profit.) The biggest driver of
revenue per article is not price but the reach of global distribution
(because more customers means more revenue).

My back-of-the-envelope estimate for the price for the customer per article
is around $1.75. That's for the big publishers. It is much higher for
not-for-profits. Note that I am not including other revenue streams in this
(APCs, advertising, reprints, etc.). It is that $1.75 figure that I am
trying to validate (or invalidate).

This metric is different from cost per use (a good measure for librarians,
but less meaningful for publishers). I would drop the multiple use category
and only include the cost per article for direct sales by the publisher;
and the reason for that is simply that that is the way publishers look at
their numbers.

As for counting up how many articles a library gets each year, I admit I
never realized that this would be a hard number to get to.

Joe Esposito