From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2013 15:16:53 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 11:56:39 +0100

I have been away and only just seen this David. Yes of course you are being
mischievous and yes it is a fair point and yes reprint revenue rarely goes
to authors. As far as I can remember I have never published a journal where
a share of this income goes to authors but it does quite frequently go to
learned society owners. It is usually part of the partnership deal.

However as you know from your time in publishing that publishers do take a
lot of interest in what academics want because they did think they were
dependent on the views of academics as authors. If authors as editors,
reviewers or contributors rejected subscription based journals the journals
would fold. The assumption was (as you will recall) that academics would
vote by taking their articles elsewhere - to open access journals. Now they
have realised that they are in large part dependent on funders of research.
The funders of research know what they do is right (listen to Wellcome
speakers) and they could not care less whether the people who do the
research they fund want. They hold the money.

Anthony