From:
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2013 19:13:57 -0400
From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 22:44:31 +0100

As Anthony suspects, I was being a little mischievous.  But what
interests me is that a publisher should ask authors for their views on
the potential exploitation of their work for commercial gain, without
asking for their views on the actual exploitation that is already
taking place, managed by the publisher.  And Taylor & Francis say that
the results of the survey have influenced their licensing decisions -
so they have gone for a non-commecial license for open access papers
as authors don't like commercial exploitation while continuing to
retain the right to commercially exploit papers from authors who sign
over copyright.  This looks like authors are being listened to
slightly selectively.

(As an aside, it is one of the many oddities of the journal publishing
market that reprint sales are viewed (almost always) as exclusively
publisher revenues and not author revenues.)

David