From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2019 18:53:05 -0400
From: Robin Sinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 20:39:27 +0000

Hello Everyone,

Please join us for the sixth in our series of COAPI Community Calls on
Tuesday, *September 24th at 1:00 PM ET*.

Ever since the University of California system published its Declaration of
Principles to Transform Scholarly Communication
<https://senate.universityofcalifornia.edu/_files/committees/ucolasc/scholcommprinciples-20180425.pdf>
and subsequently canceled its big deal with Elsevier, big deal journal
negotiations have become a hot topic of conversation across the academic
library profession. This Community Call will focus on the intersections
between these negotiation efforts and institutional open access policy
initiatives.

Are there shared principles that inform our work in these respective areas?
To what extent do our efforts in one area support or reinforce our efforts
in the other? Is there active dialogue between the licensing and scholarly
communication professionals at our institutions? What can we do to increase
collaboration between these areas of library practice? Are there particular
institutions that we can look to as exemplars? We hope that this call will
start a broader conversation around these questions and surface ideas for
collective action.

The format of the COAPI Community Calls is modeled on SPARC's OpenCon
librarian community calls, which seek to create a supportive environment
where challenges can be candidly shared and everyone present is encouraged
to participate in and shape the discussion. Catherine Mitchell, Director of
Publishing & Special Collections at the California Digital Library, has
agreed to be a guest speaker on the call.

The call is open for all to join— please *click here to register*
<https://sparcopen.memberzone.com/eventregistration/register/58>.

Thanks,

Robin

Robin N Sinn (she, her, hers)

Coordinator, Office of Scholarly Communication

JHU Libraries | Johns Hopkins University |Baltimore MD 21218

[log in to unmask] | 410-516-8346

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7609-9594