From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2013 20:15:51 -0400
From: "Jones, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 00:29:16 +0000

David--thanks for this example. It would be interesting to know the
terms and expectations to which the National Kidney Foundation agreed
when they (apparently) decided to sign over rights to the journal.
I'm not familiar with this particular case, so please clarify as
appropriate.

Many societies/foundations have decided to get out of a non-core,
high-capital-investment operation (publishing) with the understanding
that a professional publisher provides more resources/options for both
authors and readers AND (with a commercial publisher) they may be
guaranteed annual payments plus future increases.

Doug

Douglas Jones
Senior Assistant to the Dean
University of Arizona Libraries
Tucson, AZ 85721

From: "Osterbur, David L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 09:28:58 -0400

Elsevier is an appropriate comparison. Look at the price of American
Journal of Kidney Disease from 2008 to 2009. Elsevier took over
publication that year from the National Kidney Foundation. Our price
for the journal increased 450%.

David L. Osterbur, Ph.D.
Director of Access and Public Services
Countway Library of Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA   02115

From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 02:32:09 +0000

>Did APS costs increase 35%? Did the CPI JUMP and I didnšt hear about
>it?  Is there some phantasmagorical Elsevier level reasoning
>transported via time warp from the 1980šs that justifies this for my
>institution ? Has APS been reading the news about funding in state
>institutions?

I'm not sure Elsevier is actually the right point of comparison here
-- to my (limited) knowledge, they've never presented any of their
customers with a sudden 35% price increase. The pricing behavior that
Chuck is describing sounds much more like that of our non-profit
friends at the American Chemical Society.

---
Rick Anderson
Interim Dean, J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah