From:
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2019 20:21:56 -0500
From: Emily Packer <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 14:08:23 +0000

Dear All,

Further to eLife's trial of a new approach to peer-review last year, I
thought you might be interested in this new blog post from our
Editor-in-Chief Michael Eisen, reflecting on the trial and describing how
eLife aims to make peer review more effective.

To provide some context, eLife was launched in 2012 with the goals of
creating an open-access venue for the publication of outstanding work in
the life sciences, transforming the way that these works are peer reviewed,
and using the internet to enhance the way works of science are presented,
read and used.

As part of our ongoing effort to rethink peer review and the role of
journals in it, last year we began a trial of a new process designed to
give authors more control over the decision to publish. The trial was
motivated by a desire to end the needless cycles of peer review at multiple
journals, to give authors more of a say in when and how their work is
published, and to reduce the emphasis on journal titles in the way we
evaluate works of science and the authors who carried them out.

Eisen now explores how well the trial accomplished its goals and what we
have learned from it. He explains how it has informed two new initiatives
at eLife towards more effectively capturing the value of peer review:
publishing acceptance explanations for papers published by eLife, and a new
service called "Preprint Review".

These initiatives represent a step in fulfilling our grander mission, with
the idea of making the peer review carried out by eLife more valuable to
the community by introducing new ways of communicating the outcomes of the
process.

For further details, please see Eisen's full blog post at
https://elifesciences.org/inside-elife/e9091cea/peer-review-new-initiatives-to-enhance-the-value-of-elife-s-process
.

If you'd like more information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Emily

--

Emily Packer
Senior Press Officer

+44 1223 855373 (office)

http://elifesciences.org

eLife Sciences Publications, Ltd is a limited liability non-profit
non-stock corporation incorporated in the State of Delaware, USA, with
company number 5030732, and is registered in the UK with company number
FC030576 and branch number BR015634 at the address Westbrook Centre, Milton
Road, Cambridge, CB4 1YG.