From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2017 22:27:14 -0400
From: "Jean-Claude Guédon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 11:40:36 -0400

The answer to Jim O'Donnell's question lies perhaps in abandoning the
ranking perspective altogether. For one thing, this ranking refers to very
ambiguous (not to say more) characteristics of journals. Instead, it would
be much more useful to establish a quality-threshold that journals should
respect in order to be considered as legitimate. Such a threshold could be
patterned after the criteria used, for example, by Latindex in latin
America (a liste of criteria can be found here: http://www.latindex.org/
latindex/descCampos). It should be managed transparently and openly.

The advantage of such a system is that it would not divide the publishing
world according to the whims of WoS or Scopus, but according to the
transparent criteria agreed to by a number of well-recognized universities
in the world (and not located only or mainly in the northern hemisphere, by
the way).

Just a thought...

Jean-Claude Guédon