From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2014 20:57:09 -0400
From: "Adams, Stephanie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 22:52:55 +0000

We are a public institution and required to get approval for
click-through or passive agreements at the point of purchase.  I have
only been in my position for a year and have not run across any trials
where a signed license was required merely for the trial.  However, we
encountered one trial with a click-through agreement.  It took a week
or two, but I was able to have our sales contact work with their IT
department to allow us to bypass the click-through agreement.

When the vendor sent us the original link for the trial, I noticed
that if I clicked "I DO NOT ACCEPT" or didn't click anything at all
and closed my browser, I was taken directly to the trial the next time
I clicked on the trial link.  However, you can't really instruct
patrons to go about accessing a trial that way, so as I mentioned, the
vendor's IT contact was able to remove the click-through requirement.
This trial only ended recently so we haven't decided whether or not to
purchase.  If we purchase, I'm curious to see if we are required to
sign a license or if the click-through agreement will be all that is
necessary.

Stephanie J. Adams, MSLS
Electronic Resources Librarian/Assistant Professor
Angelo & Jennette Volpe Library
Tennessee Tech University

From: Linda Wobbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 06:36:29 -0700

Hi Nancy,

I'm not at a public institution, but we have to get legal counsel's
approval if a license is required for a trial.  Even a click-through
agreement. I've got an 8 page one on my desk at the moment. What a
headache!

Linda Wobbe
Saint Mary's College of CA