From:
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2014 21:14:50 +0100
From: Daniel Michniewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 18:42:26 +0000

 Hello all.

(Apologies for cross-posting)

Wondering if anyone who uses Summon (ProQuest/SerialsSolutions), EDS
(EBSCO), Primo (ExLibris), or another non-OCLC vendor for their web-scale
discovery layer/service, but who *also* contributes to OCLC WorldCat, has
taken any position on OCLC bundling FirstSearch with WorldCat Local into
their new WorldCat Discovery Services offering (
http://oclc.org/en-CA/news/announcements/2014/worldcat-discovery-services-available.html)
-- in effect, making all OCLC library contributors take on a WSD service
they never asked for and likely not ever use? We've been told that if we
don't sign up for the new larger service, our college's records will not be
visible in OCLC products. Is this a no-brainer for your library (not
signing up) or are you struggling with wanting to remain good OCLC
contributors? Cue the Alice Cooper: "No more ... Mr. Nice Guyyyy!!"

Any thoughts, on- or off-list, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dan

Dan Michniewicz

Digital Resources Librarian

Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology

Newnham Library, B2049

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

M2J 2X5