From:
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2013 19:07:11 -0400
From: Jan Velterop <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 09:29:40 +0200

This is rather beside the point, Anthony, I'm afraid. No publisher is
expected to willingly give up a source of income. That's why it is so
surprising some publishers seem to be in favour of CC-BY-NC and even
lobby their authors. Selling reprints, or even print versions in the
case of hybrid journals, is in breach of the NC clause.

However, there is a very simple solution: the CC-BY licence. That one
does allow the sales of reprints and print versions. And so preserves
that source of income for the publisher. Of course, anybody would be
able to do that; not just the original publisher of the material.
That's open access. On the other hand, even with CC-BY-NC, the pharma
industry has full access to the articles anyway and may give away the
urls to those articles to anybody they like.

Open access truly does open another world.

Jan Velterop