From:
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2018 22:21:05 -0400
From: SANFORD G THATCHER <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 23:32:38 -0400

I could be wrong, but I've always assumed that textbook publishers used the
"work made for hire" model because it is explicitly included in the
definition
of what can count as "specially commissioned" works under the second prong
of
the definition (the first referring to the status os the author as an
employee): "instructional text" means textbook, does it not?
https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ09.pdf

The reasons are several: many textbooks have multiple authors and involve
lots
of other contributors as well, such as photographers, illustrators, etc.,
which
make their creation and production more akin to a company making a movie
than
an individual author writing a book.  There is of course a spectrum, with
some
single-authored scholarly monographs being used as textbooks, but the real
money lies in the introductory texts that can often be very elaborate team
productions.  Movies are works made for hire for similar reasons.

But I agree that this case probably turns on contractual language more than
any
copyright issues.  It reminds me of a case maybe a dozen years ago when one
publisher sued another because of its issuing ebook editions of works it had
published without permission because the defendant publisher claimed that
the
originating publisher's contract did not contain language explicitly
(enough)
foreseeing the development of ebooks. I wish I could recall the name of that
suit, which seems very relevant to this one (and could serve as precedent
since
I believe it was also decided in the Second Circuit). I'm cc'ing Allan
Adler of
the AAP because he undoubtedly remembers the case.