From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2016 22:33:14 -0400
From: "Killingworth,Sara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 15:46:57 +0000

*----------------- APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING --------------------*

*THE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY ANNOUNCE NEW DEVELOPMENTS TO
INSPEC*

The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) is making exciting new
developments to its market leading INSPEC database which will increase
discoverability of content and provide new functionality to support the
research process.

INSPEC is the world’s most trusted source of physical sciences and
engineering research information, used globally by the most innovative
organisations that take seriously the need to give their researchers and
students the best tools for their work. INSPEC gives students and
researchers’ essential intelligence and unrivalled metadata connections to
find the information needed to improve research productivity.

In news announced today, The IET plan to release a new generation INSPEC
that will combine the same high quality indexing that users have come to
expect with semantic technologies to further enrich data. New INSPEC will
enable millions more data points to be connected, furthering access to
vital information.

Speaking of the new developments Tim Hamer, Director of Knowledge at The
IET, said, “We are very pleased to announce that we plan to release a new
generation of INSPEC, enhanced by ground breaking AI, developed by the
IET’s engineering, computer and physical science experts and international
partners, yet continuing to be curated by its subject experts. This will
allow for discovery of information with improved relevance, from across a
wider range of disciplines, displaying answers to questions in visual ways
to support even greater insight, and in a flexible format that can be used
by our customers and partners to enrich their own data, leading to the best
decision making, discovery of new ideas, connections and shortening time to
innovation.”

INSPEC has long been respected as the most authoritative resource for
pinpointing important literature in engineering and is the index of choice
for over 95% of the world’s top engineering departments. Built on the
renowned INSPEC thesaurus, the quality of the INSPEC database is assured
thanks to the curation of content and detailed indexing carried out by The
IET’s subject experts. New generation INSPEC will continue to leverage this
expertise but will combine it with the latest in AI and semantic
technologies to increase the amount of content that is indexed and made
discoverable to its tens of thousands of users.

In a final comment Hamer said, “With the advent of the Google generation
and the rise in usage of academic search engines and discovery solutions,
market indicators seemed to point to a rapid decline in the need for
abstract and indexing resources. This does not seem to be the case. Recent
research suggests that A&I databases will play an even greater role in
research services as they evolve into metadata engines, like INSPEC,
generating better context and relevancy in the researcher workflow. From
our own experience, market interest in INSPEC continues to increase and we
continue to grow our customer base, demonstrating a willingness to invest
in the resource. INSPEC recently indexed its 16 millionth item and work is
ongoing to index over 1 million open access e-prints from the arXiv
repository, more than 2,700 dissertations from the ProQuest vault and
articles from over 450 open access journals. We are proud that INSPEC is
the index of choice for the world’s top engineering departments and we look
forward to continuing excellent service delivery to all our customers.”

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:

Hannah Baldwin

Head of Marketing

E: [log in to unmask]

T:  +44 (0)1438 765551