From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2019 22:37:49 -0500
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 09:36:35 +0000

I have no idea where the information about Elsevier policies have come from
but there is one assertion in this curious report that is so incorrect that
I want to counter it. I have run journals for parts or all of the lists of
four major companies over forty years. I have never published a journal the
editor of which received no payment. Sometimes in the medical world the
amounts were substantial.

I know what I am talking about. I wrote the contracts. Sometimes but rarely
the payment (at the editor’s request) was described as expenses - drawn
upon for air fares - but usually they were clearly differentiated from
expenses incurred in editing the journal and quite often the costs of a
journal office (the editor’s assistant etc) were also likewise subject to a
separate clause.

Now I have never worked for Elsevier. Maybe Leo has special evidence.
Please disclose this.

Anthony

From: leo waaijers <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 19:11:00 +0100

For those who think that Elsevier, positioning itself as an information
analytics company, might be less interested in individual journals the
following article might be revealing.

https://www.scienceguide.nl/2018/12/elsevier-willing-to-compensate-editors-to-prevent-them-from-flipping/

Leo Wagers