From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2017 19:37:15 -0400
From: Charles Hamaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 15:45:02 -0400

*The Charlotte Initiative for Permanent Acquisitions of E-books by Academic
Libraries – Research Project Outcomes and Next Steps*

Over the last two years attendees of the Charleston Conference have been
hearing about The Charlotte Initiative for Permanent Acquisition of E-books
by Academic Libraries, a Andrew W. Mellon funded research grant to study
the current state of e-books in the academic market. At the heart of the
project are three core principles proposed for e-book licenses:

* Provision of irrevocable perpetual access and archival rights.
* Allowance for unlimited simultaneous users.
* Freedom from any Digital Rights Management (DRM), including (but not
limited to) use of proprietary formats, restricted access to content, or
time-limited access terms.

The last two years have brought many changes to the ever-evolving academic
e-book market, and now that the project is coming to a close, participants
of the grant would like to share their findings and help continue the
conversations around the e-books.  To this end, we will be offering a free
symposium to all Charleston Conference attendees.  The symposium will focus
on possible solutions, including evolving business models and publisher
feedback to the principles and will present highlights from the four
research team findings.

*Please join us:*

When: Monday, November 6th 1:00 – 4:00pm
Where: Courtyard Marriot, Grand Cypress Ballroom

Registration for this event is outside of the general Charleston Conference
registration so please register at:

https://goo.gl/forms/6n2JHVFskwnoocfq2   Registration is limited so please
register soon!

On behalf of the Charlotte Initiative Project Team, we look forward to
seeing you there!   We’ll share information about the schedule soon. Here
are the speakers addressing our key topics:

Licensing Principles:
Theresa Liedtka, University of Tennessee - Chattanooga
Rebecca Seger, Oxford University Press

Business Models:
October Ivins, Ivins eContent Solutions
John Sherer, UNC Press