From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2013 19:46:57 -0400
From: "Hamaker, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 03:02:05 +0000

Rick Anderson wrote:

"Chuck, the thing about most of these questions is that they apply equally
to any program of journal cancellations, regardless of the impetus for
them. And as you know, we have to cancel journals all the time. It will be
no harder or more complex to provide access to the content of a canceled
Green journal than it is to provide access to the content of any other
canceled (or never-subscribed) journal."

I think you are wrong in this assumption Rick. In most  ILL
departments(I've been in the trenches with overworked ILL staff
several times in my career), the goal is to provide the version of
record of an article as expeditiously as possible, and at the lowest
cost possible in the most convenient form. I've never seen an ILL
department  ask the questions (with their implied back and forth
interrogation you are suggesting. The default for quick turn around in
ILL is a generally understood and accepted standard, i.e. the
definitive version of record, not "which version are we seeking".

Even when only aggregator HTMLis available  instead of the version of
record, ILL is sensitive to what the user needs. But that's a simple
question compared to which version of an OA article and from what
source, are you willing to accept "fulfillment".

 I think you underestimate the amount of resistance ILL will have if
they try to fulfill requests to faculty and students out of Green OA
articles. The ILL process in your version becomes much much more of an
interrogation/negotiation before the actual delivery of the item to
the requestor. I doubt many ILL's are staffed for such interrogative
exchanges.

I can't imagine any user agreeing to the proposition you state:

".. Accepting an OA version of this article will help us keep more
funds in reserve for journal subscriptions." (There's your BI, scalable
and provided in real time.)"

Or in simple parlance, I think the answer is not my problem!

Rick ends with
"This all points up one of the very nice things about journal cancellation:
it's eminently reversible."

My apologies to everyone, Rick included, but  I find this response hilarious.

Chuck