From:
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2019 20:20:45 -0500
From: Logan Streu <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 15:25:48 +0000

***with apologies for cross-posting***

*TIB Promotes Open Access Transition in the Field of Electrochemistry*

Since 2018, all the members of the German consortium of The Electrochemical
Society (ECS) led by the Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – German
National Library of Science and Technology have benefited from a special
publishing option: ECS grants all institutions participating in its ECS
Plus subscription program an unlimited number of article processing charge
(APC) credits. This allows all scientists affiliated with participating
institutions to publish open access articles in ECS journals free of
charge. By the end of 2018, 52 open access articles from corresponding
authors affiliated with a TIB institution were published and are freely
accessible. The additional costs for this supplementary benefit come in the
form of a small surcharge on the license fee. The TIB is currently bearing
these costs in its role as the National Library of Science and Technology.
Due to the program’s flat-rate pricing and the lack of a cap on the amount
of articles that may be published, the added cost of participation is very
low – only a fraction of the price of the standard ECS APC ($800 for 2018;
$1000 for 2019).

The goal of ECS Plus is to remove barriers to open access publication for
institutions and to help establish open access as the standard for ECS
publications. The program helps advance ECS’s Free the Science initiative,
which aims to make all ECS research free for authors to publish and free
for readers to access (see
www.electrochem.org/new-model-for-scientific-publishing).

The enormous rate of growth in consortium members in 2018 shows that
libraries are very much interested in this licensing model. A total of 28
universities and research institutes decided to participate in 2018. This
represents an increase of more than four times over 2017.

The TIB will not only continue the consortium in 2019, but will also
support it financially again as stated by Irina Sens Deputy Director of the
library : "If we want to change the publication market, we are dependent on
licensing models that make it easier for authors to publish their articles
in Open Access. The large number of institutions that have joined the
consortium confirms that ECS is on the right track."

"We could not be more excited about continuing our partnership with the
TIB,” says Christopher J. Jannuzzi, executive director and chief executive
officer of ECS. “It’s thanks to arrangements like this that we’re able to
advance the cause of Free the Science, which has already provided over $2.1
million in article credits to authors who wished to publish their work open
access with ECS. We are extremely grateful for the TIB’s ongoing
contributions to both the Society and the field of electrochemical and
solid state science.”

If you are interested in participating in the consortium or require further
information, please contact the TIB Team Licence Service: T +49 511
762-8030 // tib-konsortientibeu

ECS media contact:

The Electrochemical Society

Beth Craanen