From:
Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 21:51:49 -0500
I have no ax to grind in this matter, but would ask the following questions:

1) If authors only give nonexclusive rights to
publishers, publishers will then not have legal
standing to sue for infringement, and it will be
the individual author's responsibility to take
action and pay all expenses pertaining thereto.
Is that a burden authors wish to bear?  (There
are at least some kinds of infringement that
authors need to be concerned about, to protect
the integrity of their work.)

2) What does "by default" mean? Copyright law
defines the owner of copyright to be the author
(or, in the case of a work made for hire, the
employer). There can be no "default" giving any
other parties joint ownership unless a specific
written agreement is signed to that effect.

3) If subscription costs are held flat for five
years, does that mean that journals cannot expand
in length over that period of time? (I understand
that the increase in size of journals is one of
the factors that has contributed to driving up
subscription prices.)

4) How is the "excellence" of a journal to be
assessed? Are journals reviewed anywhere (except,
occasionally, in the Times Higher Education
Supplement)? Who is to tell a publisher which
journals to drop?

Sandy Thatcher

--
Sanford G. Thatcher
8201 Edgewater Drive

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)

"The reason why so few good books are written is
that so few people who can write know
anything."-Walter Bagehot (1853)