From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 2015 20:24:34 -0400
From: Steve Oberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 23:58:45 +0000

This sweeping generalization of a statement ("...libraries should
really stop claiming that they represent the scholarly
community")...well, I find it just plain weird. Libraries represent
and defend the rights of users, a big segment of which are scholars.
And by the way, many librarians themselves are part of the scholarly
community, scholars themselves, not somehow divorced from it.

On the other hand, I understand this perspective if it comes from the
perspective that libraries sometimes don't fully understand the users
(including scholars) they represent. Check. Got it and acknowledge it.
Neither do publishers.

All of this is not meant to inflame but to articulate why I think
Anthony's response is troubling, and to argue for more well rounded
discussions.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Assistant Professor of Library Science
Electronic Resources and Serials
Wheaton College (IL)

From: ANTHONY WATKINSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 14:19:09 +0100

I repeat my previous comment. I can see a few universities signing. I
can see NO organisation representing academics in any discipline. Does
Kathleen Shearer really think that library organisations represent
scholars? I am not writing in defence of Elsevier. I am just pointing
out that libraries should really stop claiming that they represent the
scholarly community.

Anthony