From:
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2013 17:49:57 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 07:56:11 +0100

Yes I agree. I am speaking about STM but this is where the big numbers
are. I am aware humanities journals worked differently though now many
or most of the larger ones are handled in the same way by larger
companies. At least that is my understanding. Corrections welcome

Yes it would be possible to set up a system though it does mean every
author has an account. As a journal author I get a small payment every
year from the Authors Licensing and Collecting Society in the UK.

I do not know how it came about that book authors had royalties and
very rarely did anyone in the journal editorial structure even the
editor received a royalty. I can think of a tiny number of instances
from the 1970s. This is of course historical. I suspect that any sort
of payment to editors of journals (never mind authors) came about when
commercial publishers became a more important part of the overall
picture - they had of course always been there. My memory is that in
the past learned societies paid journal editors nothing. Commercial
publishers I have worked for always paid editors although sometimes it
was so-called expenses.

If anyone knows how journals and books moved apart in the way they
were run and the way they were financed I would love to know. Has
anyone written on this?

This is of course history. I am not arguing that it is good - or bad.

Anthony